"Sex without the mind is just friction."

Tuesday 22 January 2013

Resisting the call of editing

In another life, with another identity, I have a blog, and that used to be on blogger until I finally wised up and moved to something else. I remember that now because Blogger had a brain fart yesterday and managed to turn a published post into a draft one and hide it from view. Or perhaps it's reading them and trying to tell me something - 'Really? You want the world to see that? Go back and give it another shot.'

Finally managed to chain myself to the laptop yesterday afternoon and got in a couple of hours writing, which led to 1700 or so so words and an overall total that now stands at 23,500. What I'd like is to get some really good writing days in this week and get myself well ahead of the curve and the 1000-a-day target, as when I get some momentum going, the story really starts flowing in my mind and I get a lot of words down and a lot of the tale told. No idea how long this story is going to be in the end, either, as some plot lines have yet to properly kick off, but I'm also aware that there's a lot of editing to be done after I get to the end.

And the editing will wait until the end. Another curse of mine in the past has been to cut back to the start when I'm halfway through a story because I've decided it needs a rewrite. I then get about a third of the way through the new version before deciding that needs rewriting, until eventually I get caught in ever decreasing word circles and give up. As I've learnt from other completed works, you can't really tell what needs editing until you know the shape of the entire story, not just the first part.

Though I know chapter one needs a full rewrite to be told from a different perspective... but it will wait. The next scenes are sitting in my head, waiting to be written, and they will always come first until the story ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment