"Sex without the mind is just friction."

Sunday 20 January 2013

Aft gang agley

I was planning lots of writing yesterday, but somehow it failed to materialise. Not through the block returning, thankfully, but through real life returning. I had various chores and things to accomplish in the morning, and then thought I had time to do lots in the afternoon, but it was not to be, as other things ended up happening earlier than I had expected or planned for. (And could that description be any vaguer?)

So, I only managed 100 or so words yesterday, but as I woke up early this morning, I have now done another 900ish words to take that over 1000, and I can call the time up to now Saturday. All I need to do now is find the time today to write another 1000. Total so far: 21,781

It does make me wonder about what time is best for me to write. I'm generally not a morning person, so it's not usually the time I get some writing done, but as I've been able to put down a good chunk of words, and it's quiet and I haven't been disturbed or distracted, maybe I should be forcing myself to do more early on. Or maybe I just generally need to learn more discipline in my writing and stop procrastinating and wasting time.

The line that comes to mind is one I first heard a good few years ago: "I write when I'm inspired, and I see to it that I am inspired at 9 o'clock every morning". I think I need to take that as my motivation, and maybe start using Scrivener in full-screen F11 mode, blocking out all else until I've done a certain amount of work. Use what I like to do when procrastinating as a reward for getting to where I want to go, perhaps.

I think it's about this time in every writing project that I make the same promises and declarations, which gives an idea of how likely I am to keep it. However, I have made it publicly this time - even if barely anyone reads this - so perhaps the prospect of being ashamed in the eyes of non-communicative strangers will motivate me?

No comments:

Post a Comment