"Sex without the mind is just friction."

Thursday 24 January 2013

A story finished

I did finish a short story off since my last post here, but it wasn't the one I thought it was going to be. Instead, I decided to finish off a different one, and have just added the last hundred words to it to round it off. That's another 1500 words to add to my total for the 100k challenge, and on top of doing about 1200 words on my main work for the challenge. So it was a good writing day, and a few more like that would be welcome.

Total words so far: 27,757 (26,252 on the book, 1500 on short stories)

It's a different short story to the sort I've written before, but the idea and the characters in it were very strong and really insisting to be written. It came from thinking about a story to write for a compilation (the deadline for which passed long ago during my blocked period) and the basic idea and final twist popped complete into my head. The challenge was that it presented itself as a story that needed to be written in first person from a man's perspective, so I had to get it voice right. I think I've got it right, but I need to go and check it over to see if it reads as well as I thought it did when I was writing it. Then once the revision's done, I need to decide where to submit it to and see if there are any upcoming compilations it might fit, or if I just put it up somewhere on the web.

Whatever I do, it's my first complete story of the year, and some of the characters in it have definitely caught my attention and might launch off some other stories in the future. We shall have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment