"Sex without the mind is just friction."

Friday 4 January 2013

Inspiration

I often find inspiration in bed. No, not that way - well, sometimes - but I'm one of those people who can take a while to drift off to sleep, and one of the things that helps me get there is thinking over my stories and where they're going to go next. Losing myself in a storyis a good way of letting my attention drift away from whatever annoyances might be keeping me awake, and before I know it, I'm gone.

There is a problem with this, though. While it's good for helping me work out the direction of the story, I often come up with good lines that I can never remember come the morning - and because I'm drifting off to sleep, I never get the chance to write them down. It's very annoying, and I'm sure there are many great lines that have been lost to my dreams that will now never get written down and seen by anyone else.

Which is my way of saying that I'm sure I had a great line to use in yesterday's writing, but by the time I came to write it, it was long gone. Still proud of what I did write, and am now up to 3,250 words, but that 'what could have been' will nag for a while.

But I was over target for another day, and the story's going well, the characters are coming to life - literally, in one case. I was expecting someone to get killed off, but then he proved himself a bit too clever for me to do that. I wonder when we'll see him again?

No comments:

Post a Comment