"Sex without the mind is just friction."

Friday 15 February 2013

Pushing the story up a hill, and other failed metaphors

A decent enough day of writing yesterday. Did just over 1000 words on the work-in-progress in the morning, and then a few hundred words on the short story in the afternoon while on a break between two work things. For those of you keeping track (which is me and me alone, I believe) the totals are now 51,049 words on the WIP and 4549 words of short stories, which means I'm still over the 1200 words a day average.

Again, might be a poor weekend for writing - definitely looks unlikely tomorrow, as I'm off on a work thing all day, leaving very early and not getting back till late, and then Sunday will likely be a usual Sunday. So, need to get myself into gear and properly write today, so I polish off a good chunk of words and keep that total ticking over. The buffer zone's quite big now - about 10 days worth, but I need to keep the momentum going now. The WIP's got a lot of weight in it now, so once I get rolling downhill to the finish, things should take care of themselves, but for now I'm still shoving it slowly uphill, and this metaphor doesn't really work, does it?

As for the short, it definitely will need a rewrite to liven up the start of it, but now I've got to the meat of it, it should flow quite well. Might be a bit longer than usual short story length as well, even after editing it could well be getting on for 10,000 words. Not sure if that takes it over the boundary into novelette/novella territory, or if it's just a long short story. Though now I write that, I am thinking it might be worth breaking it into sections to encourage me to liven up the earlier parts some more.

It will all make sense when you get to read them, honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment