"Sex without the mind is just friction."

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Living on a prayer

I think it shows my age when the thought 'I'm halfway there' is followed by another part of my brain going 'woooooahhhh, livin' on a prayer!'

But that is where I am, on the way to the 100,000 word in 100 days target, and about eight days ahead of schedule. Did just under 2000 words yesterday, and that took me to 47,118 on the work in progress, and adding in the 3364 from short stories, that's a total of 50,482. Which leaves me just short of an average of 1200 a day too, and at this point I should be hitting the target before the end of March.

No idea if that will be when I finish on this story, or stories, though. It's become a great big sprawling bunch of tales, and I've no idea how much longer it will take to finish off the main story, let alone all the flashbacks and side stories that it's inspiring. However, the one thought that does inspire in me is that it could easily be broken down into a series of shorter works - probably novella length - that are all linked. The main story I'm writing at the moment would be the central one and the first in the series, then others would spin off from that.

That depends on them being any good and people wanting to read them, though, and before I can see if that's the case, I need to get on and finish the stories I'm telling.

Thought for the day: do stories get longer and start to meander and add in more detail because we dread them finishing and want to put off the task of editing them?

No comments:

Post a Comment