"Sex without the mind is just friction."

Tuesday 19 March 2013

One down

Finally, I have finished something. OK, I did finish Screwing The Pitch earlier in the year, but that wasn't anywhere near as epic as the things I've been working on. I didn't expect this story to turn out so huge at the beginning either, but in the end it bloated to a monster 17,000 words, and I finally put the capstone on it yesterday afternoon. Now all I need to do is go back and rewrite it all, because there are lots of changes I've seen it needs, and no doubt more will come to light when I start going through it again.

The story is currently going under the title The Way To Her Heart, and at its heart, it's a romance between two women who are both walking the West Highland Way. Jess is getting back into her old pastime of walking after ending a relationship (in the first draft she was doing it alone, in the second, she'll have two friends with her) while Becky's doing it with her boyfriend, though their relationship is severaly fraying. Sparks begin to fly when the two of them meet, but will they act on them?

It's been enjoyable to write, and I like the two women at the heart of it. The one problem I've identified in the first draft is that there's not enough drama in it, and not many obstacles for the two of them to get over, but those things can be easily added in to the next draft, which I'm going to leave to simmer in my mind for a bit while I finish the first draft of Bite, and then get back to it. Or possibly rattle off the first draft of something else to get me to the 100,000 word target.

The good news is that in getting to the finish yesterday, I did over 2500 words, which has knocked a big chunk off the target as I head towards the end. That's now 17,719 words in total for short stories, which makes for a grand total of 76,735 words, and 23,265 to go till I reach the target. Another day like that, and I'll be back in 1000 words a day land!

No comments:

Post a Comment