"Sex without the mind is just friction."

Thursday 11 April 2013

Success

Just after 6pm yesterday, I crawled over the finishing line and with a grand total of 100,076 words, I completed the 100,000 words in 100 days challenge. I also completed Part 4 of Becoming Anne in the process, which should be appearing on a website near you very soon.

It's been fun doing the challenge, though it's also been tough at times, and I was definitely flagging towards the end of it. I had a lot of momentum going when I was working on Bite - and had The Way To Her Heart to also add to - but once those two were finished, I wasn't really sure where to go next. As I found when I did NaNoWriMo with short stories, the trouble with doing multiple stories is that each one can take time to build up its own momentum, whcih means you don't get the benefit of those sections where you're able to cruise through the story and fill in background if you can't think of anything else to write.

But I did do it, and I've got some useful drafts of stories out of it - Bite, I think, will work really well with the ideas I've got for the rewrite, and the characters in The Way To Her Heart are great, I just need to add some others in there to give them more people to interact with, and some jeopardy and threat to provide a bit more drama.

The main point is that I've finished it, and am still feeling motivated to write more - and I have to, as I've been serialising Becoming Anne, so can't abandon that partway through! - and want to get on with these stories and another one that's been rattling around my head for ages, which I think I can now see a way to make work. Whether I'll average 1000 words a day for the next 100 days too, I don't know, but now I know I can keep writing at that length over a long period, it's good motivation to keep me going.

Today, though, will be a day off from writing - not because I need the rest, but because I've got too much on at work to have any time to do it. Hopefully, though, this weekend will have lots of opportunities for writing - though I do say that about every weekend, don't I, and then spend Monday morning's post explaining why it didn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment